Saturday, February 4, 2012

Why adopt?

"Why do you want to adopt?" Good question! So glad you asked!  ;)

As long as I can remember I have wanted to adopt.  Even as a kid, friends would say "how many kids do you want?" I would reply, "have seven and adopt six!" Little did I know how crazy that idea was! 

One of my favorite books of the Bible has always been James.  James 1:27 says, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." I felt like this verse was a call upon my life by God. As a follower of Jesus, I have been adopted by God into His family and kingdom (he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will– Ephesians 1:5). God shows me his unconditional love on a daily basis.  I am to show this same love to others.  Adopting a child is an amazing earthly picture of what God has done for us!  A great book to read on this subject is called "Adopted for Life" by Russell Moore. It was also very influential in our decision to adopt. 

As I got engaged to Joseph, we talked about adoption and both wanted that to be a part of our family.  We got married and then started trying to get pregnant.  It was taking longer than we expected and we looked into adoption through foster care.  We began taking the MAPP classes to foster to adopt.  During those classes we found out we were already pregnant!  We put that on hold since we would have a big adjustment with a newborn.  Life continued on, got pregnant again and miscarried. That was almost 3 1/2 years ago. 

Currently we work at the children's home in Louisiana as cottage parents to a houseful of boys! This has quenched my baby fever for a couple years but we still couldn't ignore the calling by God to adopt. Through a series of events, God has caused us to re-evaluate some things and decided that now is the time to start the adoption process, especially since it can take a few years to bring a child home. 

I am a little overwhelmed by the length of time to wait, the amount of money needed and the piles of paperwork to complete! BUT, I know this is what God wants us to do and I know he will help us through it all.  It will be a growing and stretching process for me, since I HATE to wait and trusting God with huge financial numbers is HARD no matter who you are! 

Join us on this journey and pray for us, support us and rejoice with us when we get to bring our child home! 

Blessed beyond measure,

Stephanie 

1 comment:

Leave me a comment!